A realtor friend says: “Homebuyers are subconsciously looking for the neighborhood where they were happiest as a child.”
Tell me about your neighborhood. Then, now, or combined.
1. Sidewalks lined with giant oak trees, gravel driveways sprouting weeds, porch swings, laundry on the line, a drug store with the right comic books in the rack.
2. Sixth grade. I was the lunch hour tetherball champion. Diagramming sentences was my kind of math!
3. This boy and his TV show got me through 1978 and a long bout with mono. (oy, those dance moves!)
4. Dilly bars. Hot tamales from a can. Salted watermelon. Butter lettuce.
5. Old Mother Hubbard did not live in a shoe. Mrs. Hubbard lived next door, and she chewed Red Man.
6. A jumble of roses. If only they were yellow.
7. Someone had the nerve to buy Boo Radley’s house. Looks like they’ll be
ruining it fixing it up.